May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face, and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
-Irish Blessing

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Fairytales Revisited

What would a fairytale be with just a happy ending?

Every story needs a beginning, middle and end. In the beginning we are introduced the characters, we are given a reason to care. The middle is where conflict arises and must be dealt with. The ending is resolution of that conflict. In fairy tales, at least the popular ones, the ending is where the princess rides off into the sunset with her prince and they live happily ever after. It's the happy ever after part that everyone wants. Without the happy ever after - would we read Little Red Riding Hood to assure ourselves that we are not the only ones wearing capelets in public? Or Snow White to remind ourselves that pale can be beautiful? Maybe Hansel and Gretel for tips on baking the best gingerbread house? What would these stories be without the elements of fear, despair, sadness, longing, danger, evil, rage and even death? That is where fiction mirrors reality. My fairytale seems to be writing itself in reverse.
"The princess and her prince are living happily ever after in their castle when one day the princess's stomach begins to swell. The kingdom rejoices at the couple's good news. Preparations for the royal child's arrival begin when suddenly the princess falls ill. The doctor determines it is not the princess but the royal child who is ill and will sadly, die. The prince and princess enter a period of mourning, the castle becomes like a tomb. Night after night the princess's sorrowful wailing echoes throughout the castle walls. At last the child arrives. He lives only long enough to meet his grief stricken parents. The kingdom mourns with the good princess and prince. Determined to bring joy to their people, the prince and princess one day announce that another royal child will be born and that the child is healthy. The baby girl's arrival is celebrated throughout the kingdom, as is that of her two younger sisters which arrive in the years after. But alas, the prince and princess seek to complete their family and are especially hopeful of a son for the throne. They excitedly announce the impending arrival of one final child. The princess senses a difference with this child and once again the doctor informs the couple that their child has not long to live. Darkness again settles over the kingdom as it prepares for the child's arrival. The royal family welcomes a tiny son who is briefly surrounded by his three older sisters. Sadness again reigns..."

Fairytales and fiction. They provide an escape, escape from reality. We relentlessly pursued fiction after Wyatt's birth, we rented movies, watched television and went to the movie theater. For just a few hours we were able to immerse ourselves into someone else's reality and leave ours behind. Again, I find myself thirsting for that escape. Oddly enough, my poison of choice tends to be reality shows on television which despite the "reality" provide enough drama to drown out my own. This time I have added a new source, literature. I find myself reading books at an astonishing pace and so I have added a tab on the right side of my page to document what books I have read. I tend to prefer historical fiction but find the process of locating good historical fiction too tedious so now I am just reading pretty much whatever I come across and have found most of them satisfying enough. Perhaps one day we will find the ending to our own story.

3 comments:

  1. I find myself obsessed with The Real Housewives of... series on Bravo. Sick, I know! But no matter how bad of a day, I zone out for an hour while watching that craziness. It is an escape. A good one? Maybe not, but and escape for me, nonetheless! And tonight is my escapse night! THANK GOODNESS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A side point...I think if you haven't already written a book...you should. You describe things very well and I think children book especially would love your stories.
    I hope for a happy ending for you and your family.
    hugs-
    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felicia - Thank you so much, I would love to write a children's book!

    Molly - we don't have cable so I'm "limited" to the big 4 networks so I've never seen that show, probably a good thing considering how easily I get hooked on shows! -Mandy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...