May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face, and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
-Irish Blessing

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Seriously

I debated on this title - because it can read "Seriously?" but the sad truth is it is "Seriously" as in no question about it.

My oldest daughter came home from school last week and announced that her friend would not be able to have a play date this past weekend because her mom would be at the hospital having a baby. Simple, right? I should be happy for her, huh? Yes, and . . . not so much. I really try to take the high road and let some of the unintentionally hurtful things flow underneath but this one sucker punched me right in the gut. My daughter's friend happens to have four, now five siblings. The oldest of whom is a third grader. This family has had six beautiful healthy children in about the last eight to nine years! The newest coming less than eighteen months after the last one (two since my daughter started kindergarten and she's only in second grade now). Three boys, three girls. Ugh.

I just wonder if they have the slightest clue of just how lucky they are to have so many blessings in their house. I can't help but think of all those families whose houses are empty time after time or houses like ours which are one or two children emptier than they should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...