May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face, and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
-Irish Blessing

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Drinking in the Bittersweet

Let me start of by saying baby and I are doing wonderfully.  She has already gained one pound since leaving the hospital (where she lost 12oz after birth)!  For having had my 6th c-section I am recovering fabulously and feeling better than ever before- I guess all of those mornings I was up at 5:30am exercising have paid off in spades!  :)

Love and happiness (as well as a healthy dose of sleeplessness) are abundant in our household these days.  This is what I envisioned a year and half ago while pregnant with Eli before finding out about his Potter's.  I dreamed about his sisters cuddling, snuggling, hugging and kissing him.  I saw the smiles and wonder on their faces as they watched their baby sibling interact with a brand new world each and every day.  My visions were so clear that the Potter's diagnosis hit that much harder.  This is what should have been.

That is what I find myself thinking now and then.  It stabs my heart to hear our 3 1/2 year old playing baby dolls and talking about how one of them died.  Or when they tell me that they hope their baby sister doesn't die like Eli.  Again, what can I say?  A crystal ball is not part of my toolbox so I can only respond that she is healthy and we are taking good care of her and that I hope she doesn't die too.  These are conversations I would just love to erase, or at the very least forget.

Perhaps this is life at its fullest, abundant joy tinged with the deepest sorrow, hand in hand.  One there to make the other shine brighter, impossibly intertwined.  I don't know that I could experience this purest of joy having not lived through our sons' lives and deaths.  My husband  has asked me many times since baby's birth if I'm happy.  Which is funny, because when I say "yes" he responds with "I know, you seem happier than ever", and that is the truth.

3 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how hard it is to answer their questions. It seems so unfair that they should even have to know about death as such a young age.

    I'm glad to hear you and the baby are doing well. And that you're happy. I know she will never replace Wyatt or Eli, but I do hope she brings you some peace in their absence.

    Sending you lots of hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad everyone is healthy and life is good! Sucks that we will always have the pain with our pleasure, but you're right that the sweet is SOOOOOO much sweeter now.

    PS- I nominated you for a blog award on my wordpress blog, so go check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the award nomination, Brittany, and your very kind words :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...