May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face, and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
-Irish Blessing

Friday, November 18, 2011

Cinematically Musing

Spellcheck says my title is not correct, but go with me on this one, it fits. Last night as I drifted off to sleep I found myself thinking about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Specifically, the story of the deathly hallows. For those unfamiliar, three brothers trick death into giving them what they desire. The first requests the most powerful wand but his recklessness with it results in his death by the wand's hand and then the wand being claimed by his killer. The second requests a stone that can raise the dead and resurrects his lost love but she is not the woman in his heart and his grief drives him to death. The third wisely requested a cloak of invisibility so that he could escape death undetected. He was able to live a long life and depart this earth with death as an equal at the end.

You may wonder where I'm going with this, you may even think you have me figured out. The resurrection stone, right? No, I've seen Stephen King's Pet Cemetery and any notion of raising the dead vanished after that movie. What interests me is the third brother and his departure from life with death as an equal. My sons never had a choice. There was no medical procedure or alternative to death. At the same time, they didn't understand death. I, of course, did. But I did not choose to give them to death or anyone else for that matter. I held each of them long after death stole their lives. So I've decided that someday I wish to depart this earth as the third brother and willingly accompany death as an equal from this life. There is much to be done until then. Forgiveness must be given freely, kind words spoken often, judgement withheld, truth spoken with kindness and love acknowledged constantly. I must make peace with my decisions and live them to the best of my ability. I believe that these things will allow me to walk away when death comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...